Charles Trentham, M.D., M.B.A., Chief Medical Officer, Clinical Colleagues, Inc.
Value based purchasing and the consequent emphasis on clinical outcomes requires a focus on the contribution of anesthesia to patient safety. Clinical Colleagues, Inc. (CCI) has developed and implemented a new “Value Based Quality Program” that is designed to not only optimize clinical outcomes, but also patient safety, operational efficiency and customer satisfaction. The quality program allows each hospital client that partners with CCI to assure they are managing anesthesia, and its contribution to any service line in accordance with TJC, CMS and DNV compliance standards. It also puts new protocols in place to streamline operations, reduce errors, improve data collections processes and document customer satisfaction ratings. The core components and corresponding contributions for each focus area are as follows:
- Ongoing review of patient charts to identify documentation errors and establish systems to eliminate repeat errors in the future
- Provider compliance education through their participation in the review process
- Reporting of performance indicators
- Aggregated collection of data
- Local review of complications
- Process that can fulfill FPPE and OPPE requirements
- Development and implementation of studies based on problems or ideas identified by providers
- Dual focus on efficiency and patient care
- Process standardization
- Patient surveys with questions focused on professionalism, empathy and overall satisfaction
- Data applicable for reimbursements
- Improved scores in areas not directly attributed to anesthesia (HCAHPS)
CCI designed the Value Based Quality Program based on best practices we have implemented and that are yielding positive results for hospitals. We also accounted for challenges that we frequently come across; those issues that seem to present ongoing issues for many hospitals and that could potentially be resolved or improved, with standardized solutions. This is one example of the many ways CCI serves as a true partner for our clients; we are here to not just manage anesthesia operations, but to optimize them in a way that maximizes impact and results for our hospitals.
About Charles (Chuck) Trentham, M.D., M.B.A. and Clinical Colleagues, Inc.
Charles Trentham, M.D., M.B.A. is the Chief Medical Officer for Clinical Colleagues, Inc., and is double-boarded in Anesthesiology and Pediatrics. With more than 20 years of experience, he is responsible for the management oversight of anesthesia practices nationwide, and works collaboratively with hospital leaders to implement safe and efficient anesthesia services at community hospitals. To learn more about Dr. Trentham and Clinical Colleagues visit www.ccianesthesia.com.