Kurt Zumwalt, Managing Partner, Clinical Colleagues, Inc.
It’s no secret that anesthesia practice management is competitive in today’s marketplace. Hospital leadership teams across the country have many options when it comes to selecting a practice management partner to help boost the efficiency of their anesthesia operations. I am often asked about what sets Clinical Colleagues apart; what it is about our company that is a real differentiator or how our model is unique in comparison to the others.
It sounds like a complex question but the answer is actually quite simple. This business was built from the ground up to be exactly what the other companies are not.
Clinical Colleagues’ model was created because my business partner, Paul Gerdes and I, saw an opportunity to fill the gaps that cause other anesthesia groups to fail. Physician-owned companies typically lack business experience, while corporate owned companies are focused on stockholders and investors, with less emphasis on clinical priorities. We give hospitals a level of customer service and anesthesia expertise that is unparalleled in the market. There is not one specific factor that sets us apart, but instead a combination of things:
1. Our owners are business experts that partner with skilled physicians, rather than vice versa. While we absolutely need to recruit the highest quality physicians and clinicians, the evolution of Clinical Colleagues’ model comes from two people who understand the ins and outs of running a successful business. We realize how important it is to consider every variable that impacts a hospital’s success, from clinical expertise to operations, finance, customer and physician satisfaction and service, and everything in between.
2. Our model works … really. We have developed a highly successful model that has helped countless hospitals improve the bottom line impact of anesthesia operations. We then take that model and customize different elements for each hospital taking into account every single aspect of the operations to create the most efficient and cost-effective anesthesia department. We help our clients see that just because they have always done things one way doesn’t mean they should continue that way. We show them the alternatives and how and why they will work.
3. Billing is a priority. When you partner with Clinical Colleagues, it’s easy to streamline your hospital’s billing processes, standards and protocols. We are here to help your team get it right so that you can optimize reimbursement for every patient case. Our highly experienced billing team provides our clients ongoing documentation training and feedback, to continuously improve billing procedures.
4. We are selective. We are in this to succeed. So, we are selective with who we work with, and partner only with hospitals that are truly committed to improving operational efficiency and implementing effective cost savings strategies.
5. Transparency is yet another key. We see our clients as our partners. Our team is very hands on, collecting and sharing a lot of data to show progression toward our goals and opportunities for improvement. We put it all out on the table and strive to collaborate with our clients through open communication, problem solving and implementation of new strategies as needed.
I am so proud of what Clinical Colleagues has accomplished since our founding ten years ago. A quick glance at our client list confirms that we have earned an outstanding reputation in the health care market, and the longevity of these partnerships affirms our success even further. In fact, a client hospital has never terminated a contract with us. I think it’s safe to say that’s another differentiating factor!
About Kurt Zumwalt and Clinical Colleagues, Inc.
Kurt Zumwalt is a managing partner for Clinical Colleagues, Inc., responsible for the operational management of the company. He works in collaboration with his team of physicians and healthcare business professionals to provide cost-effective anesthesia management, consulting and billing services to hospitals nationwide. To learn more about Kurt Zumwalt and Clinical Colleagues visit www.CCIAnesthesia.com.